Japanese massage recliners are some of the best massage chairs on the market. I’m frequently asked which brand and model I prefer the most. I’ll be blunt.
Of all the Japanese massage recliners on the market, the Inada Sogno Massage Chair is the best. There’s a reason the company claims that they produce the World’s Best Massage Chair.
While it might be slightly debatable if it is the best massage chair in the world—I still find Luraco to be at the top of the list, it certainly is the best in Japan.
If you’re adamant about purchasing a Japan-made massage recliner, I’ve compiled five of the best below:
- 1 5 BEST JAPANESE MASSAGE CHAIR BRANDS & MODELS
- 2 ARE OSAKI MASSAGE CHAIRS GOOD?
- 3 IS IT WORTH GETTING A MASSAGE CHAIR?
- 4 WHERE TO BUY / WARRANTY
- 5 SHIPPING
- 6 FINAL THOUGHTS. WHAT IS THE BEST JAPANESE MASSAGE CHAIR ON THE MARKET?
5 BEST JAPANESE MASSAGE CHAIR BRANDS & MODELS
When choosing any model, you have to be careful if the company’s claims are true. This will allow you to determine the reliability of a product. For example, I’ve found that some massage chairs are advertised as Japan-made despite being made in China.
I’ve taken the time to thoroughly research different brands and models, so you don’t have to. Japan-made chairs are a great investment, here’s five of the best:
OHCO M.8 Massage Chair – Best Medical Chair
The OHCO M.8 massage chair is built for safety and medical uses. That means you’re going to get the most therapeutic massage experience on this massage chair. It is FDA, CE, and UL listed that attests to its efficacy.
Here are some of its features:
- Multi-Intensity Massage – The M.8 chair targets 6 massage zones because every area of your body needs it. You’ll enjoy the multi-intensity controls and option to pause and resume as you wish.
- High-Tech Remote Control – You’ll enjoy the easy to use the remote control on the OHCO. It features an interface similar to that of modern smartphones and is very responsive, so you don’t have to repeat commands or wait for it to work.
- Noise Reduction – It’s very hard to relax when your surroundings are noisy. Even more so when it’s the actual chair creating all the noise. You’ll enjoy the noise reduction feature on this unit so you can unwind in peace while the chair stretches, massages and heats your body.
Summary: It is a good contender for therapeutic massage chairs. You’ll enjoy the customizable functions on this unit. However, for a massage chair priced at nearly $9000, I’d expect better execution on some of the more glaring issues like consumer service so be wary of your retailer.
Osaki OS-4D JP Pro Premium – Made In Japan
Osaki is one of the more reputable companies among all Japanese brands. You’ll enjoy the electric reclining functions and different massage options on this highly efficient massage chair.
You’ll also enjoy the following features:
- Power Efficiency – You don’t have to worry about this massage chair’s power consumption. At just 115 Watts, it sits at the lower average of appliances.
- 29 Kneading Techniques – You’ll enjoy the various kneading techniques on this chair. There are 29 massage techniques overall, so you know that there’s something to fit your specific need.
Summary: If you’re hoping to purchase a chair on Amazon so you can read numerous user reviews, you’re out of luck. This massage recliner has only one review and it’s not very detailed. However, if you’re buying it elsewhere, it is a pretty decent chair for any home.
INADA Sogno – Best Overall
The INADA Sogno boasts great customer service and free white-glove service. That means you’ll enjoy relaxing on your new shiatsu as soon as it’s delivered and installed by the company.
Here are some of its key features:
- Superior Body Coverage – The Sogno targets your whole body. You can rest easy knowing that you’re getting pampered from head to toe thanks to its futuristic pod-like design.
- Intuitive Rollers – You’ll appreciate the rollers that mimic a professional shiatsu massage. It not only targets areas for relaxation, but it loosens your muscles, improves blood circulation, and facilitates muscle recovery.
Summary: The Inada Sogno is the model that I recommend the most on this list. It provides an ultimate body-contouring massage that targets you from head to toe and is completely customizable. It also helps that the company is very reliable and even offers free shipping and white glove service. But, I have to say that for the price, you’re better off purchasing the Luraco i7 Plus.
JPMedics Kumo 4D
This massage recliner is a decent contender among Japanese brands. You’ll enjoy the heated 4D rollers on this chair that feels almost like real human hands. You’ll also enjoy the advanced L-Track structure of this chair that targets your thighs and glutes as well as your back.
Here are some of its key features:
- Zero Gravity Positioning – Zero-G recliners are beneficial for anyone. It lessens strain on your body by putting you in a virtually weightless position while you relax.
- Heated Knee Therapy – If you suffer from joint pain on your knees, you’ll enjoy the heat therapy feature on this model. It strategically applies heat to your knees to facilitate blood circulation and regeneration.
Summary: This chair is a decent chair with a lot of good programs packed into it. However, it is quite expensive massage chair and some of its main functions like the zero-g positioning and therapy are a bit inadequate.
Synca JP1100 4D
This massage chair is the first-ever Japanese massage chair that came with a foot roller. It boasts multiple good and great features like the following:
- Largest Massage Ball – This chair utilizes the largest massage ball in the industry at 12.5 cm. This means you’ll be able to relieve deep muscle soreness right in the comfort of your home.
- Foot Roller Shiatsu – Your tired feet need as much attention as they can get. You’ll thank the foot rollers on this model and their capability to perform an in-depth Shiatsu reflexology massage on your tired feet.
Summary: If you don’t mind surfing the net for better instructions on how to operate this chair, then you should have no problems. However, I stand by my Luraco for the price.
ARE OSAKI MASSAGE CHAIRS GOOD?
Generally, Osaki chairs are one of the best massage chairs from Japan. You’ll enjoy top of the line craftsmanship and high-quality manufacturing. They’re also well-known for releasing a wide array of options for every type of consumer.
Here are some of my key takeaways from this company:
- Various Price Ranges – I applaud a company that tried to include every type of consumer in their products. You’ll enjoy chairs designed as “budget buys” up to their more high-end recliners that can run you up to $9000.
- Osaki massage chairs are often engineered alongside professional masseuses and medical professionals to develop some of the best and most effective chairs in the market.
That’s why it should come as no surprise that Osaki chairs provide a great therapeutic experience at various price points.
The definition of a good massage chair varies on your needs. Here are some of my top Osaki chair choices for varying needs:
- Body Scan Technology – if you’re looking for a chair that you can share with multiple users, you need a massage recliner with body scan technology. The tech, coupled with memory capabilities, will allow you to save multiple user profiles. The Osaki OS-3D Pro Dreamer is one such unit.
- Budget Massage Chair – Osaki carries various units that will fit into most “budget buys.” If you’re looking for a massage recliner under $1500, you’d best go with the Osaki OS-1000 Deluxe. If you have a bit more money to spend on a decent chair, the Osaki OS-4D PRO JP is a great choice.
Summary: Osaki is a very reputable company that consistently delivers reliable massage recliners for every type of consumer. You’ll enjoy massage recliners with a price range from $1000 to $9000 with varying functions and features. It’s a good enough Jp brand if you’re adamant about choosing Jp-made massage chairs.
IS IT WORTH GETTING A MASSAGE CHAIR?
Certainly. It is a well-documented fact that massage chairs are highly therapeutic and beneficial to any individual. The most glaring issue we usually encounter is the cost associated with purchasing one.
Yes, it can get expensive. But consider this, according to thervo.com, the average cost of an hourly professional massage is around $75. That means you’ll spend around $3900 a year on a weekly massage.
Surprised? I’m not done. Imagine the costs over a span of 7 years, which is the average lifespan of a mid-range model, according to SelfGrowth. It would cost you $27,300 on average to get a weekly massage for your well-being for 7 years.
Now, take a look at the other “invisible” costs of getting a weekly professional massage:
- Time and effort to drive to and from a massage parlor
- Or time and effort to prepare a room to get a massage in
- Relaxation time lost while cleaning up after the massage
These are only some of the inconveniences you’ll encounter when getting a professional massage. Whereas, investing in a great model like the Luraco i7 Plus will only cost you $8,990 and is built to last a minimum of 15 years.
But What About The Operational Costs?
Massage chairs do not hike up your electricity bill significantly. Yes, they consume electricity. But some of the more energy-efficient units like the Luraco i7 Plus only consume 150 Watts per session. That’s no more than your LCD TV uses.
So unless you have some very faulty outlets at your home, operational costs are very minimal. You will still end up spending more time, effort and money with a professional masseuse.
Summary: It’s biggest flaw is that it costs a lot of money upfront. But if you’re considering the long-term benefits and savings, you’ll end up saving more money, time and energy by investing in a massage chair.
WHERE TO BUY / WARRANTY
There are several places you can buy massage chairs. You could check your local Costco or Walmart, for example.
On the other hand, you could also buy directly from the company’s website. But if you’re looking for an online platform where you can read multiple user reviews prior to making your purchase, Amazon is your best bet.
If you’re buying from an online platform, make sure your warranty covers the shipping time. I came across a user recently that complained of the 90-day warranty and return policy of his unit. (Not any of the massage chairs/companies listed above.)
Sadly, his unit arrived over 90 days after his initial purchase. Additionally, it arrived defective. The company’s customer support then went on to inform him that his warranty began the day he placed his order and that he was no longer eligible for it.
It’s also important to consider the following things regarding a massage chair’s warranty:
- Coverage for all defective parts and construction
- Coverage for shipping mishaps
- Opportunity to purchase extended warranty
Summary: It is important to consider if your massage chair’s warranty is substantial as much as it is important to make sure your retailer is reliable.
Companies like Inada are very reliable when it comes to shipping and handling. It’s important to purchase a massage chair from a reliable retailer that can perform a reliable shipping service.
Inada offers the following:
- White glove service
- Free shipping and installation
- Free returns
FINAL THOUGHTS. WHAT IS THE BEST JAPANESE MASSAGE CHAIR ON THE MARKET?
We’ve taken a look at five of the best contenders in the Japanese massage chair market. To be honest, of all five, the Inada stole my heart.
I applaud a company that consistently brings great products to the table while keeping its customers’ needs in mind. That said, if you’re adamant about getting a Jp-made massage chair, it’s a great choice.
However, if you’re willing to look at other options, the Luraco i7 Plus is 100% American-made and much more worth your money.
- It features adjustable intensity zones for a fully customizable massage
- Its remote control is easy to use and does not have a learning curve
- It has fitted Bluetooth speakers for listening to music
- Extensive heating options (unlike most units on this list, the Luraco has settings to control the heat)
There’s definitely more that I could say. However, I’ll leave you with this, the Jp-made massage chairs listed above are good, some of them are great. However, Luraco is one of the best massage chairs on the market. And for the price? It’s well worth it.